FEMALE GENITAL MUTILATION (FGM)
Someone said: A friend lost her marriage due to this. The husband complain of him not enjoying sex with her and I asked what is her problem she told me when her body did not move nko, like play the guy has got somebody pregnant.
FGM is the partial or total removal of the external female genitalia or other injury to female genital organs for cultural and non medical reasons. It can be done after birth, before marriage to a few days after death (Yes, in some part of African and Nigeria, where husbands are force to marry the dead wives.the dead wife will under go FGM), some part of EDO state in Nigeria still practice that.
Other expression for traditional practice are female circumcisions, female traditional surgery,female cutting,excision.
Note: This article was generated from our WhatsApp group in one of our Interactive Session.
I’m Ojo Ebenezer, a biochemist and a teacher.
We have different types of FGM. I will love to use pictures so we can get the types well.
Type 2: Excision: partial or total removal of the clitoris and the labia minora, with or without the labia majora-the labia are the lips that surround the vagina.
Type 3- Infibulation: narrowing the vaginal opening with or without removal of the clitoris.sometimes referred to as pharonic circumcision.
Someone asked how will they control their pee at type III?.
It is not a total closure, just to reduce the size. They can still pee, but it might be painful for sone
Type 4 – Other: all other harmful procedures to the female genitalia for non-medical
purposes, e.g. pricking, piercing, incising, scraping and cauterizing the genital area.
THE JUSTIFICATIONS OR REASONS FOR FGM.
- Preservation of virginity and chastity.
- Fear of sexual exclusion
- To improve marriage prospect.
- Hygiene and cleanliness.
- Enhancing fertility.
- Social acceptance.
- Sexual control.
- Cultural identity
- Gender identity.
SHORT-TERM EFFECT OF FGM
- Pain (lack of anesthesia).
- Injury to adjacent tissue.
- Severe bleeding (hemorrhage, a potentially life threatening complication).
- Acute urine retention.
- Fractions or dislocations.
- Potential HIV infection or other blood born virus.
- Fever and septicemia.
- Failure to heal.
INTERMEDIATE CONSEQUENCES OF FGM
- Delay in wound healing due to infection malnutrition and anemia.
- Anemia due to profuse bleeding.
- Pelvic infection(infection of the uterus and vagina ascending from the genital wound and necrotizing fasciitis.
- Irregular bleeding and vaginal discharge.
- Dysmenorrhea due to pelvic infection or due to the obstruction of the vaginal orifice.
- Infection leading to production of excess connective tissue in the scar.
- Formation of a keloid scar because of slow and incomplete healing of the wound.
LONG TERM COMPLICATIONS OF FGM
- Difficulty in passing urine.
- Recurring of urinary track infection.
- Pelvic infection.
- Infertility (from deep infections) scarring.
- Difficulties in menstruation, fistulae (holes or tunnels between the vagina and the bladder or rectum).
- Painful intercourse.
- Problem in pregnancy and childbirth(the need to cut the vagina to allow the delivery and the trauma that results often compounded by restitching).
- Sexual dysfunction.
It is believed that FGM prevent a lady from being prosmiscous, hence she can maintain her Chastity.
It is believe in Egypt that FGM helps cleanliness as the clitoris and the labia are no longer there to harbour germs.
And some are not even aware or have even forgotten the pain becasue it was down before age 10, except for those done before marriage.
Someone said: A friend lost her marriage due to this. The husband complain of him not enjoying sex with her and I asked what is her problem she told me when her body did not move nko😱 like play the guy has got somebody pregnant. Let forget it continue sir.
Someone Opinion: But God that put the clitoris there want Women to enjoy Sex.
Abi ooo, that is why I called FGM -mankind unkind to mankind or human inhumanity to human.
FACTS ABOUT FEMALE GENITAL MUTILATION
Evidence of FC date back to the 5-7th century BC.
- It is most often performed without anesthesia with razor,scissors, sharp stone, broken glass.
- Female legs are bound for 40 days to heal.
- An estimated 100 to 140 million women worldwide are living with the consequences.
- In Africa, an estimated 92 million from age 10 and above have undergone FGM
- An average of 4 girls per minute are mutilated.
- HUMAN RIGHTS
FGM is a fundamental human rights issues with adverse health and social implications. It violates the right of girl and woman to body integrity.
- Some countries like the United Kingdom anacted laws(ACTS 2003) that forbid FGM either in UK or outside UK to UK citizens.
In conclusion, FGM is not a practice that should continue. Educate someone today
Thanks to the house for having me. I’m honoured.
You can drop your opinion and view on Female Genital Mutilation Case inside the comment box.